Custom Roadmap Tool
The resulting Custom Roadmaps will help build a countywide infrastructure to promote green building and achieve environmental benefits. Together, King County cities will work to standardize green building practices and continue the County’s leadership as an innovator in green building and sustainable development.
Steps to Creating your Custom Roadmap
Click on a step for more information
What makes a Sustainable City?
– King County GreenTools, Earth Day 2010
Setting green building goals and greenhouse gas reduction targets is fundamental to the creation of a sustainable built environment. A green building program helps to conserve natural resources, reduce waste, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Benefits from green buildings:
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions and maximize cost savings through building energy efficiency
- Enhance affordability of commercial and residential buildings from lower utility costs
- Maximize investments in housing and commercial buildings through adoption of value-added sustainable building practices
- Decrease consumption of potable water, especially during summer
- Enhance local and regional water quality through increased on-site stormwater management
- Reduce waste during building construction and operation
- Improve indoor environmental quality, occupant health, and employee productivity
- Provide local living-wage jobs
- Green certification programs encourage transit oriented development, multi modal transportation and planning
Any size jurisdiction can implement green building programs and climate health policies; all they need to get started are some simple resources and information. The Roadmap to a Green Building Program helps cities in King County create plans for achieving their green building goals. Jurisdictions facing limited staffing capacity to manage and maintain their own program can work collaboratively with neighbors, or adopt and build off of a neighbor’s plan based on mutual agreement. Whether you work with your neighbors or design your own program, King County GreenTools is dedicated to helping cities use the tools provided, to get green buildings on the ground in your city.
The Roadmap to a Green Building Program was developed in collaboration with the Sustainable Cities Roundtable, a coalition of King County jurisdictions. This is the online version of the Master Roadmap Guide that Cities can use to develop a custom Roadmap tailored to their unique community conditions.